Why do all sonic characters wear gloves?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 soulharlequin

soulharlequin
  • Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:14 AM

all the characters on sonic ,wear gloves but sega never explained the reason , well most of the humans in the series do not wear gloves .

they do not need them ,do they?

#2 JezMM

JezMM

Extremeeeee

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:I like things and stuff.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:19 AM

They wear gloves because otherwise people like you wouldn't have any silly questions to ask.

If you want the real reason, it's because Sonic's design was somewhat inspired by Mickey Mouse, and he had gloves.  It was just sort of the norm for cartoon characters to wear gloves in those days for some reason.  Maybe it was easier to draw or something.

Posted Image
If all goes to plan, I shall be wearing the above design at Summer of Sonic 2012!
I play (*via Steam):
Left 4 Dead* | Left 4 Dead 2* | Dungeon Defenders (Open) | Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst | APB Reloaded
deviantART - Twitter - YouTube - Google+ - Ask Me Anything! - Facebook

#3 GameBuddy

GameBuddy

Exactly as planned.

• Moderators
  • -121,207 posts
  • Location:Somewhere where it's VERY hot! No, not THERE, stupid.
  • Interests:Sonic. . . Anime. . . SonicAnime.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:10 AM

I always figured it was to seal up the demonic, ingrown fingernails that plague all anthropomorphic characters.

Visit My Website for all your voice actin' needs.

#4 mesousa

mesousa

She's crazy, but the awesome kind.

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

Inspired by Mickey Mouse? First I've heard of that.
At Total Drama Island, be prepared to face unexpected challenges.

#5 antony the bat

antony the bat

Antony the Bat

• Probationary Status 2
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Collecting sonic stuff and Collecting pictures of Sonic girls plus playing football and playing Sonic video games.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

I recon that the sonic characters wear gloves because they all most proberly trying to become the first football team of mobius.
Rouge the Bat is Hot and I love Rouge the Bat.

#6 Kirby

Kirby

Still Kirby.

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Because Yuji Naka said so.

#7 JezMM

JezMM

Extremeeeee

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (Kirby @ Feb 22 2008, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because Yuji Naka said so.

Yuji Naka didn't design the characters.  Back in the day he was just a programmer.

Posted Image
If all goes to plan, I shall be wearing the above design at Summer of Sonic 2012!
I play (*via Steam):
Left 4 Dead* | Left 4 Dead 2* | Dungeon Defenders (Open) | Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst | APB Reloaded

#8 antony the bat

antony the bat

Antony the Bat

• Probationary Status 2
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Collecting sonic stuff and Collecting pictures of Sonic girls plus playing football and playing Sonic video games.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:31 AM

I think that the Sonic characters wear gloves because they most proberly want to challenge Eggmans roborts to a boxing match.
Rouge the Bat is Hot and I love Rouge the Bat.

#9 Rising_Phoenix

Rising_Phoenix

Well, idn't that cute...BUT IT'S WROOOONG!!

• God/Goddess
  • -121,210 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

Off topic folks.

Let's keep to the topic please.

#10 darkrai

darkrai

Behold my fear-i-tude!

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Apreciating Sonic the Hedgehog, and doing so with others who feel the same.<br /><br />My Internet Family:<br /><br />Immediate Family:<br /><br />Brothers:<br />Dusk. The new reference king of SA.Net.<br /><br />Max Prower. Former reference king and awesome fanfic author<br /><br />Extended Family: (Family of people who are my immediate family but aren't also in my immediate family (yet))<br /><br />Gariandos. One of my first friends, and fellow Bleach fan (though he probably doesn't know it yet)<br /><br />And anyone else who's in their families who I haven't added yet.<br /><br />Wanna join? PM me and you're in, as long as<br />A) I have some basic idea who you are<br /><br />B) we get along at least okay<br /><br />Don't be shy now.<br /><br />Oh, and did I forget to mention that I love chaos? Anyone who frequents the chat would tell you as much.<br /><br />Thanks for the read, and remember:<br />Chaos is good.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

I am exploring two theories about this.

Either
A ) The gloves were initially added to go with the cartoony look of the original Sonic, and they just kinda stuck

B ) It was the general belief of Sonic Team that actually drawing hands for Sonic wouldn't really look as appealing.

#11 vgmaster

vgmaster

Jack Doff Was Here~

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Maybe Sonic Team wanted to make their own versions of Disney characters.

#12 Mahzes

Mahzes

Why did I even draw this? D:

• Donator
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Name: Mark Teo<br /><br />Age: 23<br /><br />Interests:<br /><br />-Sonic the Hedgehog series<br />-Lions<br />-Digimon <br />-Naruto<br />-One Piece<br />-Bleach<br />-Katekyo Hitman Reborn!<br />-Death Note<br />-Okami<br />-Shenmue<br />-NiGHTS<br />-Legend of Zelda series<br />-Mario series<br />-Father of the Pride<br />-Beyblade<br />-Pokemon (Kanto)<br />-Yu-Gi-Oh!<br />-Shaman King<br />-Futurama<br />-Malcolm in the Middle<br />-The Simpsons<br />-Dexter's Laboratory (classic eps)<br />-PowerPuff Girls (classic eps) <br />-Doctor Who (2005+ series)

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

Gloves are a common cartoon character staple, usually because having a character wear gloves makes their hands

a) bigger, this making the proportions more cartoon-like and

b) easier to draw.

CLICK THE PANELS ABOVE TO VIEW THE FIRST OR LATEST COMIC.

LAST YEAR'S MADNESS: RAPID AND THE ONION RINGS

#13 Turrican II

Turrican II

SA.net Newbie!?

• Members
  • -121,211 posts
  • Interests:Why, yes, I'm very interesting. Thank you for asking.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

I'm more curious as to why Sonic, unlike nearly all basic cartoon characters, has FIVE fingers.
Living up to other people's expectations is nice, but what really matters is that you live up to your own. And you know what, I think you're doing pretty darn well so far, don't you?

Thumbs up.

#14 Rising_Phoenix

Rising_Phoenix

• God/Goddess
  • -121,210 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Turrican @ Feb 22 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm more curious as to why Sonic, unlike nearly all basic cartoon characters, has FIVE fingers.

I might actually be able to answer this one.  I know that in the early days of cartooning that 5 fingers wasn't really allowed because they didn't want the characters to appear "too human" so 4 fingers was the norm.  I remember hearing about this a loooong time ago.  Or something to that effect.

Since much time has pasted from that time, it is now the norm to use 5 instead of 4.  I think but am not sure but The Simpsons might have been one of the first using 5 fingers but I could be TOTALLY off the mark on that.

#15 JezMM

JezMM

Extremeeeee

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Rising_Phoenix @ Feb 22 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since much time has pasted from that time, it is now the norm to use 5 instead of 4.  I think but am not sure but The Simpsons might have been one of the first using 5 fingers but I could be TOTALLY off the mark on that.

I hate to say it but... yes you are completely off the mark.  The Simpsons has always had four fingers to the extent of them actually using this fact as a source of jokes (in one episode Lisa shows Bart a magazine saying "Look, this magazine predicts that in the future humans will have FIVE fingers!" to which Bart responds "Ew, freakshow.")

Posted Image
I play (*via Steam):

#16 Rising_Phoenix

Rising_Phoenix

• God/Goddess
  • -121,210 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (JezMM @ Feb 22 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to say it but... yes you are completely off the mark.  The Simpsons has always had four fingers to the extent of them actually using this fact as a source of jokes (in one episode Lisa shows Bart a magazine saying "Look, this magazine predicts that in the future humans will have FIVE fingers!" to which Bart responds "Ew, freakshow.")

I thought I was right but I stand corrected.  ^___^

#17 enigmaechidna

enigmaechidna

Bitter Till The Last Drop

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

In Japan there is a rule about home grown cartoon and comic characters, in this case Anime/Game/Manga characters, and the number of fingers they are allowed to have . Though Rising Phoenix is correct on the US matter...for the Japanese it is more of social/politcal matter. Now I did ALOT of research on the Japanese/American animation genere for a college paper in which I compared and contrasted both...

In The Anime Companion: What's Japanese in Japanese Animation
by Gilles Poitras , covers various amouts of information on Anime and even manga in Poitras later books...

Categories covered:
Building/Structure/Landmark
Clothing
Culture
Entertainment/Game
Food And Drink
General
Geographical Feature/Location
History/Society
Home
Nature
People
Religion/Mythology/Belief
Sports/Activity
Weaponry/War

Poitras explains in his book that as a result of the Yakuza having 4 fingers, animators and manga artists didn't want their characters to appear to be mocking/supporting the Yakuza organization.

For those who don't know who the Yakuza are...they are the Japanese Mafia.The traditional punishment for failure within a the Yakuza is the partial or full removal of a finger.In the old days this would render a warrior unable to weild his sword...these days its for showing when the gangster has displeased his boss, he is merely given a knife and a bandage. He must then chop off the top joint of his fourth finger and present it to the boss, thereby making him more dependent on his clan for support and protection. This is in some ways similar to sempuk or ritual(honor ) suicide. If the fourth finger is removed then the Yakuza member would move on to the next finger.

#18 darkrai

darkrai

Behold my fear-i-tude!

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Apreciating Sonic the Hedgehog, and doing so with others who feel the same.<br /><br />My Internet Family:<br /><br />Immediate Family:<br /><br />Brothers:<br />Dusk. The new reference king of SA.Net.<br /><br />Max Prower. Former reference king and awesome fanfic author<br /><br />Extended Family: (Family of people who are my immediate family but aren't also in my immediate family (yet))<br /><br />Gariandos. One of my first friends, and fellow Bleach fan (though he probably doesn't know it yet)<br /><br />And anyone else who's in their families who I haven't added yet.<br /><br />Wanna join? PM me and you're in, as long as<br />A) I have some basic idea who you are<br /><br />B) we get along at least okay<br /><br />Don't be shy now.<br /><br />Oh, and did I forget to mention that I love chaos? Anyone who frequents the chat would tell you as much.<br /><br />Thanks for the read, and remember:<br />Chaos is good.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (EnigmaEchidna @ Feb 22 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poitras explains in his book that as a result of the Yakuza having 4 fingers, animators and manga artists didn't want their characters to appear to be mocking/supporting the Yakuza organization.

For those who don't know who the Yakuza are...they are the Japanese Mafia.The traditional punishment for failure within a the Yakuza is the partial or full removal of a finger.In the old days this would render a warrior unable to weild his sword...these days its for showing when the gangster has displeased his boss, he is merely given a knife and a bandage. He must then chop off the top joint of his fourth finger and present it to the boss, thereby making him more dependent on his clan for support and protection. This is in some ways similar to sempuk or ritual(honor ) suicide. If the fourth finger is removed then the Yakuza member would move on to the next finger.

I'm glad I'm not in the Japanese Mafia. I wouldn't have the guts to do that. That kind of thing is a rather odd place to get a cartooning rule, but then again these guys seem nasty. I wouldn't wat to annoy them, either.

#19 daxter d

daxter d

Orange Lightning

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Lions<br />Phoenix Wright<br />Jak and Daxter<br />Kingdom Hearts<br />Sonic<br />Manga<br />Writing (general fan-fics)<br />Swimming<br />Forum/MSN talk (more recent ^^)

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

Well, to be honest I'm glad they wear gloves. Seeing Sonic without them would make him look a little bit strange...
"Fainthearted animals move about in
herds. The lion walks alone in the desert.
Let the poet always walk thus."

Don't worry, I like Sonic too!

#20 max

max

Weapon of MAX Destruction

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (soulharlequin @ Feb 17 2008, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all the characters on sonic ,wear gloves but sega never explained the reason , well most of the humans in the series do not wear gloves .

they do not need them ,do they?

Uh...I think it's just a stylistic thing  huh.gif

But what sort of a question is that, if you don't mind me asking?
MAX
Booming in Blue!

#21 Arctic Fox

Arctic Fox

Back in Brawl -- Items for the win!

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Come to chat and I'll tell you all about me.<br />I deleted what I had here so I could make room for Mr. X!<br />aka Homer.<br /><br />▒▒▒▓▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓<br />▒▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▓<br />▒▓░░░░▓░░░░▓<br />▓░░░░░░▓░▓░▓<br />▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓<br />▓░░▓░░░▓▓▓▓<br />▒▓░░░░▓▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▓▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓<br />▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒<br /><br />Oh, also, my favorite character is Elias, but since he's not on the list, then it's Tails.

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

Why wouldn't they wear gloves? Just think, they're out there all the time fighting tooth and nail for freedom or whatever world they're trying to save. In the process, their hands might get torn up. Sure, some people wouldn't mind the callused hands, but others may want some special protection, like if battery acid got on their gloves, they could take it off before it hurts their hand. Personally, when I go to work, I like to wear gloves...

I also agree with the whole cartoon character thing. On a related topic, why are their socks so big? In the comic book version, the socks don't even touch the legs. It's like they're a part of the shoes...

#22 サムライ エキドゥナ

サムライ エキドゥナ

サムライ Warrior

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Sonic<br />Music<br />Anime<br />Cartoons<br />Games<br />And lots of others

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (Arctic Fox @ Feb 28 2008, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why wouldn't they wear gloves? Just think, they're out there all the time fighting tooth and nail for freedom or whatever world they're trying to save. In the process, their hands might get torn up. Sure, some people wouldn't mind the callused hands, but others may want some special protection, like if battery acid got on their gloves, they could take it off before it hurts their hand.

If that's the case, then why don't they all wear a full set of clothes including shirts and pants and all that? Battery acid could just as easilly get on a characters chest or legs or something if they're not careful. In fact, with as many enemies and walls that Sonic spin-dashes through, you'd think he'd need a helmet or something.

I honestly don't think there is a real reason why Sonic and friends wear gloves, shoes, socks or whatever else they may wear. I think it was only done because it goes back to how cartoon animal characters were being made back then, like Mickey Mouse as mentioned above. I think they just kept going with it since then, but if you look closely, it's becoming dying trend to have any of the articles of clothing oversized (like the socks or the cuffs of the gloves). Shadow may have been the exception as a throwback to that style, but Rouge, The Chaotix, Silver, and many new character after Shadow have had better fitting clothes. But I guess that is a bit off topic...
EDIT: Well, to me, Shadow's clothes look a little oversized. Some might not agree with that, and I can see why. Sometimes his clothing does look like it hugs his wrists and ankles rather snugly.
Trained under my master, Shogun Echidna--My blade and my
honor are the last things I'd ever give up.  I can be your best
friend or your worst enemy, your choice.

By the flames in my heart!
Like warrior from feudal Japan, the samurai rises.
All enemies better beware, the echidna with a flaming slash is here!

#23 Arctic Fox

Arctic Fox

Back in Brawl -- Items for the win!

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Come to chat and I'll tell you all about me.<br />I deleted what I had here so I could make room for Mr. X!<br />aka Homer.<br /><br />▒▒▒▓▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓<br />▒▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▓<br />▒▓░░░░▓░░░░▓<br />▓░░░░░░▓░▓░▓<br />▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓<br />▓░░▓░░░▓▓▓▓<br />▒▓░░░░▓▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓<br />▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▓▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓<br />▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓<br />▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒<br /><br />Oh, also, my favorite character is Elias, but since he's not on the list, then it's Tails.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

They don't wear clothes because clothes would hurt their aerodynamics. Shoes and gloves are just the basics. Sonic doesn't need a helmet because his head is so thick anyway.

My original comment was partly sarcasm, so that might be why the idea isn't fully developed...

#24 soulharlequin

soulharlequin
  • Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:24 PM

my theory its because their hands look diferent due to species diference, for example sonic under the gloves he probably has paws (or the little balls under their fingers) or in the case of vector wich are scales , or tails who has fur.  to my belief they wear gloves so anyone of other species or group wouldn't freak out by looking at someone else hands .

im still wondering if knuckles has 3,4 or 5 fingers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users