#26 チビゴク

チビゴク

I'll be back one day.

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:55 PM

FINALLY got a reply.

Anyways. Here yah go (Very long post)
(Slight note. I'm quoting my messedges inside the quote. So instead of bold, you'll see my questions in quotes)

Dear John,

I recently received your email regarding Sonic X.

It was forwarded to me because Iím the producer of the 4 Kids version of Sonic X.

Iíve pasted your message below and Iíll respond in bold.

Thanks very much for your interest in the show.  Your future comments and questions are welcome.

Sincerely,

-=Name Erased for protective reasons=-

Producer

Sonic X

QUOTE (ChibiGoku first)

Hello, I'm a fellow fan of the series known as, "Sonic X", and the rest of the games and such. I have a few questions protaining to this series. If you cannot answer the question, please skip them.

First off, I was wondering why 4Kids used their  own voice actors over the offical Sega VA's? Now,  don't get me wrong, most of the voices fit fine, but it puzzles me why 4KidsEntertainment wouldn't choose them, especially with one issue which I know you don't want to talk about.

Well Iím not sure what the issue you mention is, but thereís only one reason why we didnít use the original game actors:  they live in California.  Our production facility is in New York.  Flying them back and forth month after month wasnít feasible, and we didnít want to do a phone patch from West Coast studios when we have studios here. Itís as simple as that.

QUOTE (ChibiGoku second)
Second. Many fans are supportive of the fact you guys are releasing uncut dvds for many series. Many fans, including me, have been wondering if there's any plans for a possible uncut release of Sonic X.  While some may agree on your decisions for the editing, others may not agree.

Iím not aware of any plans at this time.

QUOTE (ChibiGoku Third)
Third off. What was the decision on changing gun noises to laser noises? I understand you can't really have guns, but what's the point of having shotgun rifles shooting bullets with laser sounds, along with machine guns, despite the fact many kids I've talked to (which are around the target audience) knew what it was.

The decision to alter weapon sounds comes from Fox.  The people at Standards and Practices there (often referred to as ďthe censorsĒ) donít want to encourage weapon use.  Neither do we.  But sometimes thereís no way to delete weapons from the stories. So what they ask us to do is to make the weapons appear to be things that are not available to viewers.  The reason:  they donít want young viewers copying on-screen behavior to tragic result. So when a character shoots, say, a shotgun, we change the color, shape and/or sound of the gun, and we may make it shoot laser beams instead of bullets.  In other words, we try to make sure that when (especially) very young children go looking for the fantasy weapon theyíve seen on a show, they wonít find one.

QUOTE (ChibiGoku Fourth)
Fourth. I was curious about something for awhile. Can you explain (if

allowed) how the editing process is done in 4Kids studio. This would be something of interest to anyone.

Iím not sure what you mean by this question.  Can you clarify?

QUOTE (ChibiGoku 5th)
And finally, 5th. Recently, TMS is animating 26 more episodes of Sonic X, which are scheduled a tentative April release, according to TVTokyo's Staff Member. Out of curiosity, Does 4Kids have any plans of airing these episodes?

Yes!  Very soon, weíll be going into production on the brand new Sonic episodes.  I believe theyíll start airing this Fall...so keep watching!

QUOTE (ChibiGoku)
And thankyou for your time. A friend gave me your email, so I hope this is alright.

I hope I answered your questions.  Feel free to write anytime.

Thanks,

John "ChibiGoku"

ChibiGoku - "I'm the guy no one remembers."

#27 shakidna

shakidna

I am a moron, hear me roar, arar.

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

Dam, you should have asked something about the BGM. Such as if they just never bought it or replaced it in order to shorten/cut some scenes.

user posted image

#28 チビゴク

チビゴク

I'll be back one day.

• Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:21 PM

I'm ganna email her some more questions later on. So I'll make sure to include that.
ChibiGoku - "I'm the guy no one remembers."

#29 Guest_Chika Sonic_*

Guest_Chika Sonic_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

OMFG!!!!!! THE NEW SERIES ARE REAL!!!! I HOPE THAT IT IS RELEASED IN LATIN-AMERICA!!!!

#30 kazuya prower

kazuya prower

Hellooooo Nurse!!

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:anything to do with Sonic, One Piece & DBZ.

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:37 PM

is it the japanese eps. or the dub eps. will air this fall? I hope they meant the dub.
Friends: Kenny the Fox, segagam, infusions, Nicknyte, Shakura the Hedgehog, Turbo Tails, coolforever, Tornado x-2, Shinya Kyoto, Knuxs_Wifie, Lucky Winters, butterna, Misty the FireFox, Sonic12, ChibiGoku, G-Unit Girl, SullMaster, Tylky, kevintheman, Kitty, Sweetie.
Wanna be my friend? IM me at Sogeking258.

Sonic fan since 1991.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature

#31 Mikey

Mikey
  • Donator
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, Dragon Ball, One Piece

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

I think they ment the dub...

And also you should email them one more time, and ask them two things.

Why is Sonic X one once a week instead of every day.

And Why haven't they come out with any action figures/alot more merchandise besides 7-year-old shirts???

#32 Guest_Seiya_*

Guest_Seiya_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

the dub?  I want the Japanese original ones with the same VAs, cuz they did so well on it. sad.gif

#33 kazuya prower

kazuya prower

Hellooooo Nurse!!

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:anything to do with Sonic, One Piece & DBZ.

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:52 AM

OMFG!!!!!! THE NEW SERIES ARE REAL!!!! I HOPE THAT IT IS RELEASED IN LATIN-AMERICA!!!!

They'll eventually will. Like the old episodes, the new episodes will go international as well. Who agrees with me that the French dub of the new episodes will come before the english dub?
Friends: Kenny the Fox, segagam, infusions, Nicknyte, Shakura the Hedgehog, Turbo Tails, coolforever, Tornado x-2, Shinya Kyoto, Knuxs_Wifie, Lucky Winters, butterna, Misty the FireFox, Sonic12, ChibiGoku, G-Unit Girl, SullMaster, Tylky, kevintheman, Kitty, Sweetie.

Sonic fan since 1991.

#34 Guest_Coxy1987_*

Guest_Coxy1987_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (Kenny the Fox @ Jan 25 2005, 04:25 AM)
I think they ment the dub...
And also you should email them one more time, and ask them two things.

Why is Sonic X one once a week instead of every day.

Twit, that is down to the TV station, not 4kids. I am still curious as to why they changed the BGM when it was good enough as it is!
And California? What sort of excuse is that? California=Hollywood=Recording studios! OR just rent them a small flat or something! Jesus what they say about Americans is true!
Guns, Name one kid whos aged under 10 who HASNT played Grand Theft Auto...

#35 sonicka

sonicka

World's of Adventure...

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Creating short films that change the world... I have developed a passion for editing and creating my own films over the years. I aspire to one day be one of those people with a job of similarity to my dreams, either that or something to do with drawing... comic arts or summit ^^ <br /><br />Anime? Yep tis all good: Favourites have to of course be Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto (which I'm currently making my way through). Although Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh, Beyblade, and the almighty Sonic X are some old favs of mine too. Oh and Hayao Miyazaki is an God! I urge each and every one of you to go and watch any of Studio Ghibli's productions, ...Now!<br /><br />But I mostly enjoy comedy classics such as 'Red Dwarf', the seriously funny 'Coupling series', the Legendary 'Family Guy' and 'Scrubs' which above else is awesome ^^<br /><br />Oh and I'm a pretty big Fantatic for Doctor Who (New Series) and Zelda. So be warned! ;)<br /><br />Feel free to PM me if you wanna be my friend, it'll make me a happie chappie ^_^

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:14 AM

Yes! Official conformation at last wooooo!

Congrats on two repies chibigoku, you've given me back my faith in responces.

Billy.gif

Make us proud Matt Smith... The 11th Doctor!

#36 Guest_SuperBlastero_*

Guest_SuperBlastero_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:30 AM

I think its ridiculus that guns are changed to lasers. DBZ and YYH had plenty of gun use in the edited and parents didnt give a jack squat.

#37 Guest_Seiya_*

Guest_Seiya_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (FlapperPrower @ Jan 25 2005, 01:52 AM)
They'll eventually will. Like the old episodes, the new episodes will go international as well. Who agrees with me that the French dub of the new episodes will come before the english dub?

Not a chance, pally... tongue.gif

#38 Kevin

Kevin
  • Members
  • -121,212 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (ChibiGoku 5th)
And finally, 5th. Recently, TMS is animating 26 more episodes of Sonic X, which are scheduled a tentative April release, according to [TVTokyo's Staff Member. Out of curiosity, Does 4Kids have any plans of airing these episodes?

Yes!  Very soon, weíll be going into production on the brand new Sonic episodes.  I believe theyíll start airing this Fall...so keep watching!

Well this pretty much confirms the new epsiodes. This is great news indeed.

Edited by kevintheman, 25 January 2005 - 12:44 PM.

Thanks to Samurai Echidna for the avatar.
Thanks to ChaosAria for the Haiku.
My DeviantArt Page

Kevin

The kindest admin
Watches over his charges
A true southern gent

#39 Mahzes

Mahzes

Why did I even draw this? D:

• Donator
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Name: Mark Teo<br /><br />Age: 23<br /><br />Interests:<br /><br />-Sonic the Hedgehog series<br />-Lions<br />-Digimon <br />-Naruto<br />-One Piece<br />-Bleach<br />-Katekyo Hitman Reborn!<br />-Death Note<br />-Okami<br />-Shenmue<br />-NiGHTS<br />-Legend of Zelda series<br />-Mario series<br />-Father of the Pride<br />-Beyblade<br />-Pokemon (Kanto)<br />-Yu-Gi-Oh!<br />-Shaman King<br />-Futurama<br />-Malcolm in the Middle<br />-The Simpsons<br />-Dexter's Laboratory (classic eps)<br />-PowerPuff Girls (classic eps) <br />-Doctor Who (2005+ series)

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (SuperBlastero @ Jan 25 2005, 03:30 PM)
I think its ridiculus that guns are changed to lasers. DBZ and YYH had plenty of gun use in the edited and parents didnt give a jack squat.

Those shows are aimed at older kids than Sonic X.

I hate to say this, but, when it comes to most of the cuts and edits, 4Kids are just doing their job.

They don't CHOOSE whether to cut or edit something. There's laws that force them to cut scenes containing certain things, etc. To leave those things in would mean the show would have to be given a higher age rating (most likely PG13), and that means they wouldn't be allowed to show it on Saturday mornings anymore.

If they showed Sonic X after 9PM, they'd be missing their target audience (which is, face it, kids). Sega would WANT the show to be suitable for young kids, because they are the most impressionable, and the most likely to bug their parents to buy Sonic stuff after watching the show. So basically, it has to be suitable for little kids.

Of course, that's what uncut DVDs are for. tongue.gif And the VA excuse is lame, and not using the original BGM is inexcusable.

CLICK THE PANELS ABOVE TO VIEW THE FIRST OR LATEST COMIC.

LAST YEAR'S MADNESS: RAPID AND THE ONION RINGS

#40 Guest_Zack_*

Guest_Zack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Rapid the hedgehog @ Jan 25 2005, 01:14 PM)

I hate to say this, but, when it comes to most of the cuts and edits, 4Kids are just doing their job.

They don't CHOOSE whether to cut or edit something. There's laws that force them to cut scenes containing certain things, etc. To leave those things in would mean the show would have to be given a higher age rating (most likely PG13), and that means they wouldn't be allowed to show it on Saturday mornings anymore.

If they showed Sonic X after 9PM, they'd be missing their target audience (which is, face it, kids). Sega would WANT the show to be suitable for young kids, because they are the most impressionable, and the most likely to bug their parents to buy Sonic stuff after watching the show. So basically, it has to be suitable for little kids.

Of course, that's what uncut DVDs are for. tongue.gif And the VA excuse is lame, and not using the original BGM is inexcusable.

Maybe you should also write a letter to FUNimation, ChibiGoku.

#41 Guest_Coxy1987_*

Guest_Coxy1987_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Rapid the hedgehog @ Jan 25 2005, 08:14 PM)

Dare I say it, he does have a point you know...

#42 Guest_Papersak_*

Guest_Papersak_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:51 PM

WAIT. A. Second.

Ah crud, there's different people for every show? Cause I was just about to say HOW did One Piece get away with real guns and stuff (WHICH I'd like to add uses HUMANS) and Sonic's gets cut? And how is it that the Winx Club gets away (in fact abuses) issues about dating and love while Sonic X gets it ALL cut out ? (I'm mostly thinking SonAmy-ness... I know KnuxRouge is kept for like half part).

... OH! Oh, oh, oh, if you send another one, you NEEEEEEED to ask what the freaking HECK is with Gamma's voice.

#43 kazuya prower

kazuya prower

Hellooooo Nurse!!

• Members
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:anything to do with Sonic, One Piece &amp; DBZ.

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:30 PM

also ask why do they remove the words on the signs instead of renaming the signs.

Sonic fan since 1991.

#44 Guest_Zack_*

Guest_Zack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

And ask why they cut out the character profiles.

#45 Mahzes

Mahzes

Why did I even draw this? D:

• Donator
  • -121,212 posts
  • Interests:Name: Mark Teo<br /><br />Age: 23<br /><br />Interests:<br /><br />-Sonic the Hedgehog series<br />-Lions<br />-Digimon <br />-Naruto<br />-One Piece<br />-Bleach<br />-Katekyo Hitman Reborn!<br />-Death Note<br />-Okami<br />-Shenmue<br />-NiGHTS<br />-Legend of Zelda series<br />-Mario series<br />-Father of the Pride<br />-Beyblade<br />-Pokemon (Kanto)<br />-Yu-Gi-Oh!<br />-Shaman King<br />-Futurama<br />-Malcolm in the Middle<br />-The Simpsons<br />-Dexter's Laboratory (classic eps)<br />-PowerPuff Girls (classic eps) <br />-Doctor Who (2005+ series)

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Papersak @ Jan 25 2005, 11:51 PM)
WAIT. A. Second.

Ah crud, there's different people for every show? Cause I was just about to say HOW did One Piece get away with real guns and stuff (WHICH I'd like to add uses HUMANS) and Sonic's gets cut? And how is it that the Winx Club gets away (in fact abuses) issues about dating and love while Sonic X gets it ALL cut out ? (I'm mostly thinking SonAmy-ness... I know KnuxRouge is kept for like half part).

... OH! Oh, oh, oh, if you send another one, you NEEEEEEED to ask what the freaking HECK is with Gamma's voice.

Again, One Piece is aimed at older kids. (I think)

Also, there's no game sales depending on the success of the show among little kids. Plus, I don't know much about One Piece, but aren't guns etc an almost essentail part of the plot?

But wait... isn't One Piece on Satruday mornings too?

I dunno, I'm confused. I guess the age rating determines exactly what is tolerable or not.

They obviously cut the profile cards for time. God knows about the sign blanking.

Anyhow, I doubt we'll ever know how 4Kids minds work.

CLICK THE PANELS ABOVE TO VIEW THE FIRST OR LATEST COMIC.

LAST YEAR'S MADNESS: RAPID AND THE ONION RINGS

#46 Guest_Papersak_*

Guest_Papersak_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

One Piece is on what was once the Fox Box with Sonic X... and Kirby, and all them. Same with Winx Club. Speaking of which, according to advertisements, Winx is for like little kids, too, despite all its teenage-ish issues. Well... okay, the only one is love and such, but it still COULD 'VE been avoided... or never done at all.

EDIT: Oh and another thing, I kinda wished you'd asked about the huge cutting of sad-depressing-ness. I mean Shadow's, Emerl's, and Gamma's deaths were unavoidable (well, actually there's apparently no proof that Shadow REALLY died after falling and they AMAZINGLY kep Amy going by Gamma's side), but yanno, they edited out that Maria actually died and such. And then there's the DRASTIC emotion changes with the music they use.

... are you SURE you can't share the address you used?

Edited by Papersak, 27 January 2005 - 06:29 PM.

#47 Guest_Gabz Girl_*

Guest_Gabz Girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:59 AM

Ah, now I know why they edit the guns out and stuff! And why they didn't use original VA's, though there a bit lazy for not just going to California and stuff. Why little kids, why?

Edited by Gabz Girl, 27 January 2005 - 09:00 AM.

#48 Guest_kevpod_*

Guest_kevpod_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Rapid the hedgehog @ Jan 25 2005, 03:14 PM)

Actually, I think Sonic X would do great on Toonami. It's perfect for it in every way in my opinion.

#49 Guest_SuperBlastero_*

Guest_SuperBlastero_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

I dont see why 4Kids would be ordered by the channel to censor/cut things out. 4kids IS the channel. 4kids has total control of.... 4Kids tv! This is proof that they are willingly choosing to cut/censor things. And something else very interesting I found out. Even Funimation has chosen to cut and censor stuff they dont need to. Read this editorial from DBZOA to find out what these guys really have to cut. And I know theres all this stuff about timeslots and whatnot. But think about it. I think its stupid that there's rating beyond what appears at the top of your TV. I think Sonic X should be able to get away with as much as DBZ. All this stuff about the timeslots and "secret classifications of Y7-FV for different times of the day" is all just because 4kids wants to "Play it safe", which is unnesesarry. Y-7-FV is technically the highest rating a kid show can get. Any show above that rating is either made for adults, or not appropreate for kids, so it leads me to think Sonic X is  not aimed and the youngest kids. There are no "laws" stating any of this stuff. Trust me. As long as it falls under the standars for "Y7-FV", no matter what time its on, it can get away with alot. All of Sonic X could go completely uncut and get a Y7-FV I bet.

#50 Guest_Yin_*

Guest_Yin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:43 AM

i'm getting use to 4 kids

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)